Camden Police continue to search for a man who may have been responsible for the deaths of a woman and her four-year-old son.

Police said in a statement Wednesday morning on the department's Facebook page that they are actively searching for Jory John Worthen, 23.

They ask that anyone with information of his whereabouts call the Camden Police Department at 870-836-5755. Information will be kept confidential.

Police Chief Boyd M. Woody said Tuesday that family members of Alyssa Cannon, 20, went to police on Tuesday morning and said they had not been able to make contact with her since Saturday. The mother and her child, Braydon Ponder, were believed to be in the company of Jory John Worthen, and they were not able to make contact with him, either.

Investigators went to Cannon’s residence at 1338 Ronald Drive in Camden and found the bodies of the woman and her son inside. Their bodies have been sent to the Arkansas Crime Lab for autopsies.

Worthen, a white male, may be driving Cannon’s white-colored Honda Accord with Arkansas license plate number 921YBE.

Police say Worthen is wanted for the double homicide and should be considered dangerous.

According to Cannon’s Facebook page, she was engaged to Worthen. She worked at Sam’s Southern Seafood & Eatery in Camden.

The murder scene was a house in west Camden, west of Columbia Avenue off West Washington Street.

Ouachita County Circuit Court records indicate that Cannon received a protection order against Worthen on October 19, 2017.

In an affidavit she filed in support of her request, Cannon said that she had been dating Worthen for almost a year and that he was becoming controlling and possessive. Worthen would not let her listen to certain songs or watch television shows with sex scenes. 

She alleged that on October 12, 2017, Worthen pulled her by the hair, threatened to cut her throat and to kill himself during a drive to the Camden Walmart. He made several threats against her and when they arrived at the store, he broke the cell phones that both of them possessed.

Once inside the store, they separated and Cannon said she called her mother to come pick her up. She went with a manager into a locked office but Worthen still tried to get at her, she said.

"He was always controlling where I went, what I did, what I wore, who I talked to, and controlled my money that I worked for. He always called me names. I'm scared to be by myself, scared to be out in public, when people walk behind me. Scared to be around any other man," she wrote in the affidavit.

Circuit Court Judge Hamilton Singleton granted Cannon's request for a protection order after a November 30, 2017 hearing at which Worthen did not appear. The protection order was for 10 years.

Click an emoticon to express your reaction to this article.


Recommended for you